Pinot Noir – InstaPot Ham Hock and Bean Soup
- 1 1/2 lbs Smoked Ham Hock (one large ham hock)
- 1 lb dry beans
- 6 cups Broth or Water (low sodium) chicken or pork
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 Ribs Celery, chopped
- 3 Carrots, chopped (chop larger pieces if you want firmer veggies, as they will be soft)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 2 Bay Leaves - don't stress if you don't have these
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Add all ingredients to the inner liner of the Instant Pot. Stir (Make sure the beans are fully submerged so you don’t get any crunchy ones).
Put the lid on, and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
Press the Pressure Cook or Manual button or dial, then the +/- button or dial to choose 45 minutes (35 minutes if you pre-soak beans for 2 hours)
When the cooking cycle ends, turn off the pot and let it naturally release pressure for 20 minutes.
Carefully release the remaining steam manually, using short bursts at first to make sure the soup won’t spew out of the steam release knob. When all steam is out of the pot, and the pin in the lid drops, open the lid facing it away from you.
Check the consistency of beans. If they are too firm, engage the pressure cooking option for 10 more minutes.
Actual cooking time will include InstaPot getting up to pressure and time for pressure release
Courtesy of Sandy Clifton